This Versatile Combo Makes a Stellar Stage and Studio Amp
The Lone Star is perfectly at home dishing out Texas-sized clean and grainy tones from its duo of 12″ speakers, and it also shines in the high-gain range. Thanks to its two tweakable channels, selectable Class A/B or Class A operation, switchable (tube or solid-state) rectifier, great-sounding long-spring reverb, and a host of other stage- and studio-friendly features, the Lone Star packs a lot of amp into a little bit of territory.
Mesa/Boogie Lone Star 2 x 12″ Combo Amp at a Glance:
- Tonal options galore
- Conjure the spirit of the Blackface
- Split personality
- Tube Rectifier Tracking
Tonal options galore
The Lone Star’s Multi-Watt power amp featuring Duo-Class allows you three power options that are channel assignable via 10-/50-/100-watt power switches. Choose two power tubes operating in pure Class A (single-ended) and producing 10 watts, or two or four power tubes running in time-honored Class A/B, producing 50 or 100 watts, respectively.
Conjure the spirit of the Blackface
The Blackface is one of the most popular tones of all time, and the Lone Star easily provides this classic sound with a punchy, shimmering twang that gives way to furry smoothness. It’s based on a traditional vintage/boutique gain structure to produce angelic and warm clean sounds in its low to medium gain ranges. Like most great tube amps, this channel can be driven to clip and produces incredible solo possibilities for blues or roots chording styles.
For more options, the Lone Star’s second channel has a split personality. At the flick of a switch, it can clone the clean magic of channel one (with an added touch of blues-roots gain) or kick in an additional high-gain amplifier with its own dedicated control. With stunning performance inspired by the pivotal Mark I, the interaction of three cascading gain controls unlocks the historic vault of groundbreaking lead sounds.
Tube Rectifier Tracking
The Diode/Tube Rectifier Tracking Switch takes Mesa’s patented Dual Rectifier concept to a new level. When Tube Rectifier Tracking is selected, the Lone Star will auto-assign the most stylistic rectifier circuit to track the assignable 10-/50-/100-watt power settings of both preamp channels. In this mode, when either preamp channel is in the 10- or 50-watt position, the 5U4GB rectifier tube is automatically brought online, which produces an authentic vintage feel that is extremely silky and inspiring to play. In the 100-watt position, the Silicon Diode Rectifier is automatically brought online, which provides the Lone Star with top fuel performance that produces more punch, a tighter, livelier attack, and substantially more headroom. In this way, Tube Rectifier Tracking allows you to tune each of the channels power feel to the specific preamp sound you are dialing in.
Mesa/Boogie Lone Star 2 x 12″ Combo Amp Features:
- 2 x 12″ with C90 speakers
- Bias select switch (6L6/EL34)
- Fixed bias for consistent, maintenance-free performance
- Selectable Diode or Tube Rectifier Tracking (patent pending)
- 2 fully independent channels
- Channel 1 = boutique vintage clean/classic breakup; channel 2 = clone of channel 1 or cascading high-gain
- Drive/clean switch activates channel 2’s drive control (multi-stage cascading gain circuit)
- Thick/normal/thicker voicing switch (channel 2)
- Full power/tweed variac switch
- All-tube, long spring reverb with bright/warm reverb tone switch
- Output level control (over all channels when activated)
- Footswitchable solo level control
- All-Tube FX loop with send level control (over all channels when activated)
- True hard-bypass switch that removes FX loop, output level, and solo level controls from signal path
- Fan cooling with on/off switch
- External switching jacks for channels 1 and 2, solo, and reverb
- Aluminum chassis
- 2-button footswitch
- Slipcover included